Wednesday 4 September 2013

Retirement: pros and cons

There is so much to consider as I plan for retirement. In theory, my retirement planning began decades ago with pension contributions, RRSPs, etc. Truthfully, I didn't give it much thought. Real planning for me didn't begin until much much later.... When kids are raised - left the nest.... when you are eligible to collect a pension...when the idea of a slower pace for the first time in your life seems somewhat attractive.... I think retirement like other major phases of life - parenthood; adolescence - is something that evolves within you - emerges. Almost naturally you begin to weigh options... think about timing. I am a pros and cons type of person. I approach planning and decisions that way. This was demonstrated to me in spades last week when I went shopping for a computer. My son and his girlfriend came along with me. There were so many choices - I think I was a bit bewildered. Suddenly, in the middle of the store, my son turns to me and says "Well, let's consider the pros and cons of each" Words that I know that I have said to him on countless occasions. Suddenly I was grounded and could see a path to a decision. Lesson Learned - my son really manages me well! .

No comments:

Post a Comment