Thursday 29 August 2013

My first blog

Recently a friend of mine, Eleanor passed away at 89 years old.She was a great lady. I was honoured when the family asked me to speak at her funeral. .    Eleanor hired me over 33 years ago at the hospital that I still work at today.  She was near the end of her career , I was at the beginning of mine. My role was to teach her about computers which were just becoming a tool in the medical research field as online communities were just beginning to form. Together we ventured into the online world - the early days of the internet- when it was only a research tool -long before the web.  She embraced learning this new technology.  I am about the same age today as Eleanor was when I first met her. As I wrote her eulogy, I began to reflect on my own enthusiasm for the technologies of today.  In my personal life I have only marginally ventured into the social media world   Although I use these technologies professionally, I have not embraced them in my personal life. .  What would Eleanor have done? Even in her death, she found a way to inspire me and open doors for me - just like she had during her life time.   In honour of her - her openness to new ideas, her love of learning, I am going to dive a little deeper into the technologies that I have almost ignored and I begin with creating my own blog. .  One of Eleanor's favourite expressions when she went out on a limb to try something new or risky , she would say - " If this doesn't work out - I like yellow roses"   for you Eleanor.....

No comments:

Post a Comment