Thursday 4 October 2018

one year later....

One year ago today, on my first day of retirement I boarded a plane and  set off on a five week adventure to the South Pacific and Australia.
It was an incredible beginning to my retirement on the heels of an extraordinary send off by the best comms team ever  and an emotional good bye to my friends and colleagues
One year later, not a day goes by that I don't acknowledge how lucky I am to be enjoying retirement in good health and relatively young at 60 years old...still an emerging senior.  I am so very grateful.

I knew that key to this new chapter in my life , I  needed to replicate those dimensions that brought satisfaction and happiness in my work life - purpose, community and structure.  Day by day, these key pillars are being redefined  and my life is richer and amazing because of it.

Often when one envisions retirement it is the great travel adventures that you think will define your new life.  I don't think that is true.. No more than vacations defined your happiness when you worked. Vacations are wonderful, amazing and worthwhile.  Travel has always been a big part of my life and will hopefully continue to be for many many years to come.  I have had many travel adventures big and small over the past year and loved every moment and have many more planned.

But I think the great adventure of retirement  is this new freedom and choice.  For me...to try new things, to help others in new ways, to learn new things  to meet new people and  to create new space for my long lasting cherished relationships and friendships - all of this has  fuel charged my life.

Last week I had the  privilege of listening to the great scientist, feminist and conservationist Jane Goodall.  It was an amazing opportunity to glimpse into her extraordinary spirit and vitality.  She shared a simple structure that she uses to help define her life- APE -Animals, People and the Environment.  She believes if everyone does something to help these three elements - all of us will be better off.  I am going to try and incorporate this into my life.
She was asked why at 84 years old she was not slowing down  ( this year she had 300 speaking engagements around the world).  Her response was astute -  ' The end of my life is much closer than ever, I have much to do, I feel I have to speed up not slow down'
You go girl...




1 comment:

  1. Fully appreciate your sentiments. Like you I thought retirement would bring the freedom to travel extensively and with it fulfilment but now I realise that it is just a dimension of my retired life which instead offers me so much more especially in the realms of challenge and creativity.

    ReplyDelete