Sunday 8 June 2014

Monday Morning - June 9 - A flower pot now stands....

We do most of our living between Friday night and Monday morning.  Monday morning is the time to reflect on the weekend and get back into our week day routine . As I get older it becomes more difficult to get myself  moving on Monday morning.   I guess that is part of what retirement planning is about - letting go of the weekday routine and spreading the rest of your life over seven days!






Monday, June 9, 2014


A flower pot now stands where a basketball hoop once did.


When we first moved into our house over twenty years ago, my father in law bought a full size basketball hoop for my son for his sixth birthday.  It was before the days of portable ones, so my husband poured bags and bags of cement to secure it in place.  

I remember when it first went up and how it towered over the driveway, I wondered if my son would ever be tall enough to use it.  



It seemed like no time at all and he was playing ball in the driveway. Eventually he grew to 6'4 and could hang off of it.


The hoop was not only a source of recreation but a navigation aide as well.   For years, it was the only hoop on our street and I would always direct people to the "house with the hoop in the driveway"


Over the years it had become rusty and an eyesore, It had to come down.  So last week, my son came over and took down  his birthday present from his grandfather from all those years ago.   They had done such a good job putting it up, it was a bit of a struggle to remove. 

Now when  I pull into the driveway,  the house definitely looks better but I will never look at that flower pot and not think of the basketball hoop.



No comments:

Post a Comment