Monday 21 April 2014

Monday Morning April 21 - Couples Timing

We do most of our living between Friday night and Monday morning.  Monday morning is the time to reflect on the weekend and get back into our week day routine . As I get older it becomes more difficult to get myself  moving on Monday morning.   I guess that is part of what retirement planning is about - letting go of the weekday routine and spreading the rest of your life over seven days!





Monday, April 21, 2014

Recently the New York Times  published an article on the timing of retirement for couples.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/22/your-money/coping-when-not-entering-retirement-together.html?_r=0



Let's face it - we no longer live in a world where the husband is the sole breadwinner and when he decides to retire the couple is "in retirement".  Things have changed.   Couples come in many forms and so does work .  It seems highly unlikely that two people's individual passion for their work and their desire to pursue new interests would coincide at exactly the same time.



I certainly know that my "artist in residence" has no plans to retire - he says never.  I totally understand that his need to continue to create does not diminish over time and  may  even intensify.  In fact, as an artist often the value of your work  appreciates in the more mature years of your career.  I wouldn't want or expect my husband to retire just because I was planning to retire.  It doesn't make sense. . However the impact of one partner retiring does impact the couple and not just financially .Retirement is a transition and a change in lifestyle for an individual and for a couple.  .


No comments:

Post a Comment