Friday 8 November 2013

Lest we forget.. #showyourthanks























On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Canadians are asked to pause in memory of the thousands of men and women who sacrificed their lives in military service.

At public gatherings in Ottawa and around the country, Canadians pay tribute with two minutes of silence to the country's fallen soldiers from the First World War, the Second World War, the Korean War, the Afghanistan conflict and peacekeeping missions.

From the time I was a little girl, I attended the Remembrance Day Services at the Cenotaph in our home town.  Rain, snow, sleet or sunshine I stood beside my father and my uncle, both decorated veterans, as we watched the Veterans Parade.  Afterwards we would  go out for lunch and  both would have a drink and toast absent friends.

When my son started elementary school at Brick Street , I began to attend the school Remembrance Day services instead of the Cenotaph..  Brick Street was over 100 years old and in the hallway was a plaque listing all students from  Brick Street that had been killed in service.  Every Remembrance Day, the names of those students were incorporated into the school's ceremony. It was a moving reminder to everyone of the children that had once played on that same schoolyard whose lives ended far too early.

My uncle is no longer with us.  My son has grown up.  Our current  family tradition is to attend the Remembrance Day service at the school of my niece and nephews - Sherwood Fox.  My Dad, my Mom and my sister all attend. I am always touched by the poignant and beautiful service and how seriously these young children take this act of remembrance.   Afterwards we go out for lunch, have a drink.

On Remembrance Day, my father always  wears his military blazer, his beret and medals.  I am always astounded by the number of people that come up and shake his hand, thank him for his service -some women even kiss his cheek. .  Whether we are at the school, in a restaurant or out shopping , it always happens.

This nation made a promise almost one hundred years ago not to forget those young soldiers who never came home.  It is a promise that we have kept.    Lest we forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment