Sunday 29 September 2013

Kingsmills - a London legacy


I am a Londoner, born and raised - at least fifth generation. My  great grandfather was a developer who built in many of our older neighbourhoods.  Steeles Street in North London is named for him.  I love London and proud to live here.

Our city is not without challenges but still a great place to live and to raise a family.  Much is written about the decline of London.  Headline after headline, article after article but none of the dialogue to date has spoken to me more strongly about London's demise than the announcement on Friday that Kingsmills is for sale.

My family has been shopping there since it opened well over a hundred years ago.   The sparkling hardwood floors and the old fashioned caged elevators are reminders and links to that past.  I just always took for granted that it would continue.

Although we like to think of Kingsmills as an institution, it is not.  It is a business that has to make a profit to survive.  I can only conclude that that is no longer feasible.  No other explanation makes sense.

There has been a  lot of chatter about the Kingsmills announcement.  Many Londoners will feel a sense of loss when the name on the store is no longer Kingsmills or run by that family or maybe even closed. There is maybe even a sense of Kingsmills giving up.  This is not about Kingsmills failing.   I think London has failed Kingsmills.

I have always admired those stores like Kingsmills and Nash Jewelers who have remained at the core of our downtown when all others have left.  They remained open and contributing members to the initiatives to revitalize our downtown.  They remained open long after the customers have left the downtown.  How long are these retailers expected to wait for the turnaround of our core area?  Richmond and Dundas only grows worse.  I wouldn't walk my dog at that corner.

I have not abandoned Downtown London. I am a supporter.  I am downtown at least once a week .  I shop downtown.  I eat downtown.  But my activities are concentrated on King and Talbot - at the Market and the  independent stores and restaurants in that area. That part of our downtown  is now alive and vibrant.

Why can't we make the same happen for Dundas and Richmond? Will it ever recover?  I know it will never  be the Richmond and Dundas that I remember -  Simpson's  windows decorated for Christmas- restaurants and independent shops lining Dundas - magnificent movie theatres.   Maybe the future doesn't look like the past but it must  be  better than the present.

The lack of revitalization of this part of our core comes at a cost.  The cost on Friday  was a tough one to accept.









No comments:

Post a Comment